Albea is an independent firm specialised in consulting services of sustainable development strategies in different areas such as energy efficiency, urban mobility, tourism and transport. Since its creation in 2002 it has worked in several sectors providing different strategies to reduce the environmental impact and carbon footprint through European programmes.
Albea’s expertise is also focused on technical assistance, contributing to the efforts of organisations in tackling climate change and supporting energy efficiency policies. Diagnosis such as Carbon footprint and action plans such as Sustainable Energy Action Plan (SEAP), Plan Climat and European Energy Award - eea® are some of the tools offered by Albea.
Related to the domain of this project, which is at the crossroads of sustainable tourism and the micro and small enterprises, they have wide-ranging experience. Albea has participated in several European programmes and has taken part in European and National consortiums. In the field of tourism and environmental practices Albea has assisted public and private organisations to analyse, develop and implement sustainable strategies aligned to the Agenda for sustainable and competitive European tourism.
Albea also routinely carries out viability studies on the integration of climate change concepts in several sectors like transportation and energy efficiency for buildings.
Most recently Albea has developed several project related to tourism:
1. Improving the energy efficiency, the use of territory and biodiversity in the hotel industry in Las Palmas, Canary Islands (ETBHO) (Client: Biodiversity Foundation, Spanish Ministry of Environment). The aim of the project was to adapt the tourism sector to the challenges of the climate change promoting a sustainable tourism. The project analyses the four main environmental vectors: energy consumption, water consumption, waste’s generation and mobility within the hotels in the province of Las Palmas (an important touristic area in Spain).
2. Strengthening of private sector intermediary organisations UEMOA (Côte d’Ivoire, Benin, Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, Senegal and Togo) for better access for local businesses to public procurement (Client: ACCIO-Catalan Government) The project was co-financed by the European Commission-EuropAid/127539/C/ACT/Multi- within the framework of the PROINVEST programme. The main objective of the project was to increase private sector competitiveness of the SMEs of UEMOA by participating in the international public procurement. The final beneficiaries of this project are the enterprises, which can be part of a consortium with local, regional and international administrations, but they don’t have experience in developing similar projects.
3. Study of local policies of fight against climate change (Client: Spanish Federation of Municipalities)
The objective of this study was to prepare a report on local policies of fight against climate change of the local governments supporting the Section of the Spanish Federation of Municipalities and Provinces (FEMP) ‘Spanish Network of Cities for the Climate’, which will allow to verify that these accomplish the requirements determined by this network and to know its advances in the fight against the climate change.
4. Carbon footprint of the process of production of olive oil (Client: Biodiversity Foundation, Spanish Environmental Ministry)
The main objective of this project was to contribute to the achievement of the commitments acquired in GEI reduction and mitigation of climate change matters. It involves raising awareness and spreading between the non-affected sectors by the Kyoto Protocol, as it is the production of olive oil, its contribution to the fight against climate change through the implementation of good practices, which can reduce the CO2 emissions and other greenhouse gases.
5. Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy project preparation programme in urban areas of the Mediterranean Partner Countries (Client: EIB)
The overall objective of the study was to support the development of energy efficiency (EE) and renewable energy (RE) investments in cities of Mediterranean Partner Countries (MPCs). The specific objective of the study is to assess the need and feasibility for promoting EE and RE investments in cities in MPCs. The results to be achieved are: a project pipeline identified and a selected number of projects assessed in more detail, and an analysis of the opportunity of setting up a technical assistance (TA) facility.